Sunday, May 18, 2008

Reading, reading, reading!

I had an important phone interview on Thursday evening with a strategist with a major church planting network. His job is to interview potential candidates and determine if their theology, spiritual giftedness, aptitude, and experiences are appropriate for them to continue in the church planting assessment process.

Things went just fine, and I was allowed to move to the next step, which is a personal assessment interview with three church planters from the network. At some point in the next month, Emily and I will spend another two hours (after the two-hour phone interview) face-to-face with three successful church planters. I am excited, but also a little nervous about what they will think and say... I want to make a good impression!

One thing that struck me during the phone interview was how important the church planting network believes it is to be well-read. Not just regarding the blogs of some important church planter guys, but in difficult theological works.

The reality is that most church planter types are really good at "doing stuff" and they tend to always be active and "into something." That's my personality as well to some extent, although my "doing stuff" isn't bungee jumping or skydiving! :) Most church planters also like to read and learn new things, but they don't spend a ton of time reading theology.

I am moved by my newfound discovery that leaders must be learners, but not just about leadership-related topics. Leaders must read the Bible, of course, but there is also great merit in reading about God and what other people (admittedly much smarter than you) think about God.

This church planting network (my policy is not to reveal names until they make a decision on us) thinks reading theology is crucial to the spiritual and intellectual growth of a pastor and church planter. And, since the members of this network are guys I'd love to be like when we plant our church, I'm going to read more theology!

I just ordered two books that my interviewer recommended. When they get here, I'll dive right in. I know that these books and others like them from stalwarts of the faith will challenge me to be a better Christ-follower, student of God, husband, father (that sounds cool!), church planter, and pastor. My suggestion: follow the lead of those who have gone before, and read more about the awesome God we serve.

3 comments:

OnTheMark1974 said...

Kevin, I am very proud of you and this journey you two have been sent on. You have been missed and I look forward to you getting a little closer to home (Charlotte).I seem to keep missing your visits back to CSF. Just know that y'all are in my thoughts and prayers and I will see you soon.

Marc B.

em said...

:) I would like to say that if there is a higher standard for "well read" than what you already hold...we are ALL sunk!

Kevin said...

Thanks guys! Hope to see you soon, too, Marc. We'll be back sometime this summer, and we'll try to make sure to connect.

Fuzz, you don't have to say all that, since you are The Fuzz, but thanks anyhow! :)