Sunday, August 3, 2008

A simple request...

Hey all you folks in Knoxville (or who know people in Knoxville) who are checking out our blog: I'm going to make a request of you.

Emily and I are going on a little mini-vacation this week to Charleston, South Carolina. It's where we went on our Honeymoon 10 years ago... And our favorite place to go. I wanted to take Emily there for our 10th anniversary, but with all the stuff going on with moving to Knoxville from West Virginia, we didn't get to celebrate our anniversary.

My friend John Fooshee (who pastors Redeemer Community Church in Johnson City, TN) has an awesome mother-in-law named Jayne who is allowing us to use her condo in Charleston for a week!

So, while we're gone relaxing, spending our last vacation together before our baby is born (either the last week of October or first week of November, probably), thinking and praying about The Ridge and the next few months of preparation, will you do me a favor?

I've been looking for a part-time job. As a matter of fact, I've interviewed for two of them. One of the jobs turned into a full-time job (which I don't have time for as a pastor). The other one didn't work out, probably due to my inability to commit for longer than a year or so.

If you know of anyone who's hiring for part-time help, would you let me know? I believe I've been spending too much time scouring the Internet and paper for the right job. It's been taking away from other things, like meeting new people and spiritually preparing to lead Ridge Church.

So, I am going to rely on the folks who read this blog (surely there are millions by now) to hook me up! I'm just looking for something around 20 hours a week with a regular paycheck that allows me to have a relatively-regular schedule and meet as many folks as possible.

There's a bunch of good reasons for a pastor to have a part-time job, by the way, in case you're wondering:
  1. I can make a little money, allowing The Ridge to save some cash it would normallly pay me and reserve that dough for launch needs like a sound system, video stuff, children's ministry stuff, etc. Just an FYI: I am paid on a part-time basis by Ridge Church right now from charitable donations that friends and family are sending as financial support for The Ridge--they believe God wants to do big things in Knoxville and so do I! (If you'd like to pitch in, let me know!)
  2. I am not tempted to be "super-pastor" and try to do everything, but will need to gather a ministry team and work hand-in-hand with other people to do "God stuff." Believe it or not, pastors often try to do it all and "burn out" every day. The healthy thing (and much more fun thing!) is to serve as part of a team.
  3. I can meet new people who I may be able to invite to Ridge Church events so that they can get connected.
  4. I can network with businesspeople-types who may be able to introduce me to their networks... Who may be able to introduce me to their networks... So we can invite people to Ridge Church events so they can get connected.
  5. I can have a front-row seat to the culture around us... And even be on stage a little! Too many pastors are holed up every day in an office someplace, away from the people they hope or claim to serve... Not so with The Ridge! We don't envision our future offices as places to spend our entire workdays. Although there certainly are times for study and prayer, we want to be among the people of Knoxville on a daily basis and serve our community. How can we serve a community we don't move about in? We can't.
I'm sure there are more reasons for me to be a part-time employee, but you get the point! I plan to have a part-time job for at least a year, maybe up to three. We believe that The Ridge will be self-sufficient financially by that time, and I will me a much busier bee with Ridge Church stuff by that time as well.

More discussion of that stuff later, but for now, if you have good job ideas for me, just email them to kevin@ridgechurchknoxville.com.

We're a team--no one person can do it all, and that includes everything you might think of. Thanks so much!

Kevin

No comments: