Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Some Interesting Ideas from a Preview Service



Emily and I went to Evansville, Indiana this weekend to help our friends Trey and Kitten McClain with the first preview service for their church, Discovery Church. I wasn't sure what to expect, since I'd never been to one before (and I hope to have my own in a few months, so it was good for us to be there!)

We had a great time visiting with Trey and Kitten and their two girls, Alyssa and Morgan. They are sweet kids. Morgan is 7 months old (the pic is from February, so don't worry) but I know for a fact that she has a massive crush on me! :)

We got some great ideas from Trey and Kitten's preview service. First, you need a bunch of tables. I just sort of realized that while we were there... You always think of sound and video and stuff like that, but tables are important, too, and it would be a real pain to try to borrow them from another church, although I guess you could do that.

Also, you can make cool banner-type signs without spending a ton of money. Just make PVC frames for the banners (you can paint the PVC to color-coordinate with your logo or chosen colors) and zip-tie the banner to the PVC frame through grommets on the edges of the banner. It works great for indoor banners and signs. For outdoors, just make a thicker frame (since the banners are going to be bigger anyway) and then use sandbags or maybe sand in the frames' feet to hold the banner in place if the wind kicks up.

We even learned that Starbucks sometimes gives a great deal on coffee! They comped the first preview service's coffee, pending a weekly deal for coffee. That's cool, and it allows Discovery to have quality beverages to offer the people who check out their worship gathering.

No comments: